DodgeCoronet.com

Full Version: What did you do to your Coronet this Week ....???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

JennFAFA

OK so I don't know where i left off here BUT i got the new lock ring out and put the old one back in .. so far so good. Filled it with gas last night and took him for a spin - driveway was dry. YAY makes me a happy girl .. next on the list is the weather stripping that I didn't know was separate from the windlace. Gotta get that so i dont get wet while its raining. Wink
JennFAFA Wrote:OK so I don't know where i left off here BUT i got the new lock ring out and put the old one back in .. so far so good. Filled it with gas last night and took him for a spin - driveway was dry. YAY makes me a happy girl .. next on the list is the weather stripping that I didn't know was separate from the windlace. Gotta get that so i dont get wet while its raining. Wink

Way to go Jenn, can't beat the quality of original parts.

JennFAFA

yea you got that right! POS part pissed me off. Things are NOT made like they used to be huh?
JennFAFA Wrote:yea you got that right! POS part pissed me off. Things are NOT made like they used to be huh?
That would be an understatement Jenn.
I'd like to add a comment to what Jenn said about the aftermarket fuel sending unit lock rings being junk.

I purchased one of the lock ring install & removal tools from Vans Auto awhile back and when I tried to use it earlier this year while I was restoring my Coronets complete fuel system, I used this tool to remove my cars original metal lock ring and it worked just as designed. When I tried to use the same tool to install the new aftermarket lock ring that came with my new fuel sending unit, the tool simply would NOT work, no matter what I tried. Needless to say, the cheap aftermarker lock ring went into my spare parts bin and the original used part went back on my car.

While it's good to see parts being reproduced for our cars, having parts reproduced for our cars that don't work and fit like the original parts did is absolutely useless in my humble opinion. If someone is going to spend the time and money to reproduce a part, please do it correctly, or please don't bother making it at all.

Richard

[Image: FuelTankSendingUnitLoclRingRemovalToolpu...ct2012.jpg]
Amen
X2
thebankerstoy Wrote:I'd like to add a comment to what Jenn said about the aftermarket fuel sending unit lock rings being junk.

I purchased one of the lock ring install & removal tools from Vans Auto awhile back and when I tried to use it earlier this year while I was restoring my Coronets complete fuel system, I used this tool to remove my cars original metal lock ring and it worked just as designed. When I tried to use the same tool to install the new aftermarket lock ring that came with my new fuel sending unit, the tool simply would NOT work, no matter what I tried. Needless to say, the cheap aftermarker lock ring went into my spare parts bin and the original used part went back on my car.

While it's good to see parts being reproduced for our cars, having parts reproduced for our cars that don't work and fit like the original parts did is absolutely useless in my humble opinion. If someone is going to spend the time and money to reproduce a part, please do it correctly, or please don't bother making it at all.

Richard

[Image: FuelTankSendingUnitLoclRingRemovalToolpu...ct2012.jpg]

Hey Richard - you don't want to here my restoration parts stories!
Can you believe it? I did nothing to either car, again.
theman440 Wrote:Can you believe it? I did nothing to either car, again.
Join the club...