DodgeCoronet.com

Full Version: What did you do to your Coronet this Week ....???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
65rbdodge Wrote:I finally took my coronet out for the first time this year. I felt like I had to learn to drive a 4 speed All over again. I'm so used to driving my work truck(Mack truck) that when I got in my car I didn't know what I was doing. After a few miles of driving it all came back to me.
WHAT! no pics ??
Took Max to get some bbq things for Mothers Day, I did take the long way around.
thebankerstoy Wrote:Hello Mark,

Just out of curiosity, did you run a zinc rich oil additive with that hydraulic camshaft? If not, that could explain a lot of the damage done. No zinc additive equals a damaged hydraulic camshaft and lifter set, no exceptions.

Richard

I ran the comp cams additive when I broke it in and then the Valvoline VR1 oil. Oil should of been okay. I think there may have been other contributors. I trusted the builder on stuff and may have gotten burned. I need to check the valve springs - they may have been heavier than the cam was calling for. I do know the push rods were too short and the lash was not set right on many of the lifters.

But in my opinion the cam casting was terrible. Very porous. Don't know if that was an issue or not, but I don't expect to see such porosity on cams.
markz Wrote:I ran the comp cams additive when I broke it in and then the Valvoline VR1 oil. Oil should of been okay. I think there may have been other contributors. I trusted the builder on stuff and may have gotten burned. I need to check the valve springs - they may have been heavier than the cam was calling for. I do know the push rods were too short and the lash was not set right on many of the lifters.

But in my opinion the cam casting was terrible. Very porous. Don't know if that was an issue or not, but I don't expect to see such porosity on cams.

I totally agree on there cams being junk, remember the pics of the one I posted? terrible.

And VR1 has reduced the amount of zinc in there oil so i stopped using it recently. Sad Brad Penn for me now.

I am sure you know but just in case, clean out all those little pockets of old oil in between lifter bores they seem to be a catch all for nasty stuff.

Good luck on your new cam I hope it runs perfect for you and your daughter.
5960]Best I could for now. Wow I think I figured out how to post pics from my iPhone
I soooo want a 65!!!
Sharp `65
Dig the color combo on your '65 !!
nice 65 makes me want to break out the credit card and get started on mine