Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Cleaner
Hi, can someone please tell me what the air cleaner looked like on a 68 R/T? I've heard a few differing ideas, some pics would be good. Thanks
Reply Purge Spammer

I assume we are talking about a 440. The 440 had an unsilenced air cleaner. This means no snorkel and the top was larger the bottom pan, leaving a space going 360 degrees around the air filter. On cleaners with a snorkel, the top mated to the bottom leavind the only air passage through the snorkel(s). The unsilenced air cleaner let plenty of air free flowing to the carb, and lots of good sounds coming from the carb. The pie pan on top should be mostly red and say 440 Magnum on it. In the picture it is the motor on the upper right. The 340 in the lower left shows the same air cleaner, only with a different pie pan on top.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

here is a pic from my junk collection of 2 unsilenced air cleaners, 1 one w/ pie tin-

[Image: unsilenced001_zps46eaa799.jpg]
Clean as a whistle 
Smelling like a rose
Reply Purge Spammer

Thanks guys, good info.
Reply Purge Spammer

I always like this link for reference

http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Great site. I really like the jack area also.
Reply Purge Spammer

I always liked those unsilenced air cleaners, neat sound, when you punch it!!!!!!!
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Cleaner Sticker and more OldSkool 3 3,312 11-15-15, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ws27
  Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner magnumman 6 6,020 04-03-13, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Racer Brown