Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What did you do to your Coronet this Week ....???
Busy week! Finally got the bathroom reno done, (happy wife - happy life) so I'm clear to play with the 'Net. Yesterday, new Magnums, today quartz clock replacement kit. I had the original clock serviced by a local clock repair shop & it worked for a couple of months, then died. The good old boy at the repair shop told me the original clocks were junk when new, so I wasn't surprised that it quit. Anyway, thanks to Richard, I had a link to a company that supplies complete new quartz internals, while retaining the original face, hands, etc, so I ordered a kit the same day. Pulled the cluster out today & discovered the clock itself still functions but the wind up solenoid wasn't working - probably the points but I didn't bother checking it out. Have to say that the kit is a breeze to install and, as I type this, my "new" clock is humming away hooked up to a battery, temporarily, as per the very detailed instructions. Anyone wanting to tackle this job needn't be afraid, the kit comes with instructions & a DVD. Removing the cluster is the hardest part, even the second time, then it's clear sailing. After a lunchtime "soak", I'll slide the cluster back in. Took a few pics to illustrate. Interesting fact - Mopar, Ford & GM all used the same basic movement back in the day. In fact the instructional DVD, shows how to refurbish a Corvette clock & it's the same internally as mine! The original manufacturer's name was BORG. The kit retails for about $80. U.S. and it cost me $125. CDN by the time I received it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

Nice job.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

With Spring Fling coming up Morgan needed some love for the trip. Look's like front brakes and bearings, tire rotation so far. It runs so good I am afraid to touch anything under the hood if you know what I mean.

I better do an oil change though to keep the Poly happy.

My Mopar buddies and I are taking some parts and hangout in the swap meet section just for the fun of it. Its hard to find any parts I want to sell, I need em all Smile

The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

harold prentice Wrote:Busy week! Finally got the bathroom reno done, (happy wife - happy life) so I'm clear to play with the 'Net. Yesterday, new Magnums, today quartz clock replacement kit. I had the original clock serviced by a local clock repair shop & it worked for a couple of months, then died. The good old boy at the repair shop told me the original clocks were junk when new, so I wasn't surprised that it quit. Anyway, thanks to Richard, I had a link to a company that supplies complete new quartz internals, while retaining the original face, hands, etc, so I ordered a kit the same day. Pulled the cluster out today & discovered the clock itself still functions but the wind up solenoid wasn't working - probably the points but I didn't bother checking it out. Have to say that the kit is a breeze to install and, as I type this, my "new" clock is humming away hooked up to a battery, temporarily, as per the very detailed instructions. Anyone wanting to tackle this job needn't be afraid, the kit comes with instructions & a DVD. Removing the cluster is the hardest part, even the second time, then it's clear sailing. After a lunchtime "soak", I'll slide the cluster back in. Took a few pics to illustrate. Interesting fact - Mopar, Ford & GM all used the same basic movement back in the day. In fact the instructional DVD, shows how to refurbish a Corvette clock & it's the same internally as mine! The original manufacturer's name was BORG. The kit retails for about $80. U.S. and it cost me $125. CDN by the time I received it.

So you use your clock and convert it to quartz? This is neat, thanks for the pics and info Harold
The Idaho Andy
Reply Purge Spammer

You're welcome. Interesting "follow up" to the clock conversion - before re installing the clock into the cluster, it quit. On the back of the "internals" there is a stud, that protrudes through the case, for power & a sprung copper strip that contacts the inside of the case to ground the mechanism. The instructions caution you to make sure the inside of the case, where the copper strip makes contact, is very clean. I did that, but it looks like the ground wasn't good enough so the clock quit. I got around that problem by soldering a thin wire to the inside of the case & to the copper strip giving me a solid ground. There's enough room inside the case so that the wire fits easily. Four days later, the clock is back in the car & humming along beautifully. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the copper ground strip on the back of the mechanism.

Reply Purge Spammer

Finished the carpet, sill plates and seat belts. Back seat and seatbelts installed.

Reply Purge Spammer

Really looking good Jeff.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

Jeff That looks so f'n Sweet! Great Job.
If your friend Jack helped you off a horse....... Would you help your friend Jack off a horse?
Reply Purge Spammer

It was sunny and dry on Sunday so I decided to take the car for a ride. It was the first time with the 6 pack installed. Normal drivability was great. Then I decided to see what it would do. When I first jumped on it, it felt the same as it did with the edelebrock 750 carb & intake. Then the secondaries opened up! Holy crap. What a difference. I know it was cold out but first gear was usless once the secondaries opened up. Can't wait until it warms up. Right now it 18 and snowing.
Reply Purge Spammer

Drove mine to work today to spin my spinners some more Banging Gears
The Idaho Andy
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1969 Coronet A39 Super Bee Scat Pack Spring Special option code 1958300 1 9 08-23-24, 09:20 AM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  1967 Coronet 'Restoration' Piper 29 201 07-27-24, 05:12 PM
Last Post: juan a.
  Front End Alignment Shop for 1967 Coronet 440net 2 12 05-29-24, 04:14 PM
Last Post: 440net
  dodge coronet super bee rear trim ramiroflores 1 14 05-08-24, 09:28 AM
Last Post: 67440Dodge
  Trying to find my grandpas 1968 coronet rt. mason 4 33 01-29-24, 11:11 AM
  1970 Coronet 500 new to me. SteveSS 13 57 01-25-24, 03:08 PM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  Power Brake Conversion for 1958 Coronet acer 5 24 11-20-23, 09:20 AM
Last Post: 65rbdodge
  Coronet update. 493mike 11 53 10-23-23, 09:06 PM
  Welcome to the new and improved Dodge Coronet Forum!! 67440Dodge 4 52 10-07-23, 02:06 AM
  '67 Coronet Trunk Gasket stonehengeheels 3 1,764 08-26-22, 11:29 AM