Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN and VON identification 1967 Coronet
I am looking at purchasing a 1967 Coronet R/T and am not failure with Mopar VIN's etc. I know VIN plate on the Driver inner fender well but as I understand there is a VON also and it is stamped on the front radiator support? and driver rear weather strip extension on the or underneath the weather strip?

This car is missing the VIN plate, but has the numbers on the radiator support. I hope I can figure out how to imbed a picture of this here so you can look at.

The owner had purchased this 12 years ago from Utah and had someone do some body and paint on this and the guy removed the plate. The person who is selling this had a real bad experience with this body guy and had to come get his car back. He is now exhausted from all this and 12 years older and just wants to sell the car and move on to riding a bike into retirement.

He said he had traced the VIN plate on paper with a pencil before sending to this body shop and has it in a Chilton's book yet to be found, but he says he will find it.

I researched the title and insurance VIN and it matches the car exactly, but I understand there is a VON that is stamped on the plate and the radiator support and rear weather strip extension.

Is this correct? Please check out this number on the radiator extension and if someone could tell me anything from it I would appreciate it.

I would guess if the VIN and VON were on this traced paper and it matches the title and the radiator support it may be all true.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Chuck

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

Chuck, 99% sure the VIN was not put in the trunk until 1968. For 1967, The fender tag doesn't contain the VIN for the car either, that's just trim, engine, build date and shipping order. The only place I know where the VIN is located is on the plate on the drivers side door jamb.

What you're seeing on the radiator support is the build date (C19) (12/19/1966) and the Shipping Order (08215)
I love Mopars so much I'm date coding the skid marks in my underwear.

What Mike (67440dodge) said, but that kind of thing always scares me. Oh, do you have a fender tag for this car??
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

Thanks Mike (67440Dodge) and Racer Brown,

So the only place the VIN is located is on the door jamb VIN plate. No stamping anywhere on the vehicle? I looked the door jamb over real good and did not see a plate or stamping or any numbers at all. I did not even see holes where a plate may have been. How are these plates mounted? Does anyone have a picture of the plate on the door jamb?

It does have a Cirticard? Not knowing much about this card we looked at it first thing and do remember the first few letters on the card but did not know at the time the relation it would have with the VIN? Looking back I think it did have the VIN, problem is that could have been transferred over also I believe.

You know the shop that did the car had done a real good job on it, they stripped it down completely and media blasted the car and painted it top to bottom, underneath every nook and cranny. It is just sad as this guy took everything off and now these plates are lost.

Outside the box question, if someone did a history and there was documented trail of owners etc, and there was no lien’s anywhere can a VIN plate be made? It’s sad there is no other area that the body itself was not stamped.

Racer Brown I do not have the fender tag, like everything else it was taken off. This car was media blasted and painted and then the block cracked when it was outside and for 12 years never hit the road.

Wish there was something to tie this all together
Reply Purge Spammer

Chuck,

Open the driver door and look above where the switch is goes for the dome light. That's where the VIN tag is on a 67 (and 66).

The Certicard should have the VIN on it, but that's something that can easily be transferred from one car to another (and it's not a legally binding document).

Unless the current owner can get you the plate, there is no way to legally put a Chrysler Corp VIN tag back on the car. The only thing that can legally be done is the current owner can apply for a state VIN to be assigned to the car.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for responding Mike,

Geeezzz, that plate you can't miss. It's not there. I would have seen that a mile away.

Okay, so the Certicard does not have the build date or order number that is on the radiator support, not good.

If the owner does apply for a state VIN how much do you think it devalues the car?

What a waste, its a really nice car. To bad a irresponsible shop owner put him through this.
Reply Purge Spammer

What would help is if the owner could get a copy of the IBM punch card. That will have some of the information that is on the rad support and the VIN, so he'd be able to correlate that this car is indeed what the title says it is.

How would a state VIN affect the value? Most definetely hurt it. How much? no one knows..

Is it possible to get back to the body shop and hunt down the tag, probably just laying in a tool box of a worker?
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

67440Dodge Wrote:Chuck, 99% sure the VIN was not put in the trunk until 1968. For 1967, The fender tag doesn't contain the VIN for the car either, that's just trim, engine, build date and shipping order. The only place I know where the VIN is located is on the plate on the drivers side door jamb.

What you're seeing on the radiator support is the build date (C19) (12/19/1966) and the Shipping Order (08215)
Just looked at mine and it starts with a 71, any idea what that part means? I notice Chucks is a 75
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Hi Mike,

Is the IBM punch card the plate on the driver fender well? If it is the owner did trace it with pencil on a sheet of paper and put it into a Chilton's manual. but he said that body shop owner has it. We will see.

67r/t4speeder,

The owner of the body shop called the owner of the car and told him he had two hours to get the car out as someone was sutting the business down. He does have his number and has contacted him before (small town) but he said he does not have the VIN plate or fenderwell tag. He is going to call the guy to find out about the Chilton's manual.

Just thinking, I wonder if the plate is in that Certicard holder? I will have to call.

Chuck
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1969 Coronet A39 Super Bee Scat Pack Spring Special option code 1958300 1 9 08-23-24, 09:20 AM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  1967 Coronet 'Restoration' Piper 29 201 07-27-24, 05:12 PM
Last Post: juan a.
  Front End Alignment Shop for 1967 Coronet 440net 2 12 05-29-24, 04:14 PM
Last Post: 440net
  dodge coronet super bee rear trim ramiroflores 1 14 05-08-24, 09:28 AM
Last Post: 67440Dodge
  Trying to find my grandpas 1968 coronet rt. mason 4 33 01-29-24, 11:11 AM
  1970 Coronet 500 new to me. SteveSS 13 57 01-25-24, 03:08 PM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  Power Brake Conversion for 1958 Coronet acer 5 24 11-20-23, 09:20 AM
Last Post: 65rbdodge
  Coronet update. 493mike 11 53 10-23-23, 09:06 PM
  Welcome to the new and improved Dodge Coronet Forum!! 67440Dodge 4 52 10-07-23, 02:06 AM
  '67 Coronet Trunk Gasket stonehengeheels 3 1,764 08-26-22, 11:29 AM