Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gas gauge
so my gas gauge in my 65 doesnt work, i know its the gauge bc i have a brand new gas tank and sending unit. I was looking at some aftermarket gauges and question is does anyone know what kind of gauge will work with the stock sending unit of a 65? i know they go by ohms and every gauge is different, so what kind of gauge do i get?
Reply Purge Spammer

Can you get an ohm meter and measure what your sender reads and go by that? I looked in the manual and it didn't show range that I found.

In my truck that is what I did and picked out the closest range gauge I could find.
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Good luck. Replaced my 64 dart with new gas tank and sending unit,went by the correct ohm,and it reads like crap. Goes from full to 1/4 tank in 1 day,and stays at 1/4 for 3 days
66 Coronet 500 convertible 440,727,2500 stall,was 430 hp, we ain't got a clue now, just get in and enjoy the rumble
Reply Purge Spammer

I might have missed something here, but you say you know it is the gauge because of the new tank and sender. Does that mean that before those were replaced, the gauge worked? If that is true it makes more sense to look elsewhere first. I would check to make sure the ground strap is actually providing continuity between the tank and the car frame. Next is the wiring OK? Do you have continuity from the sender to the dash?
Reply Purge Spammer

Right on, Mike. I agree.
Castles made of sand slip in to the sea....eventually
Reply Purge Spammer

Not sure on 65,
But my 67 had a failed burnt up 5 volt regulator that regulates gauge voltage.
I replaced the cluster mother board with a intergrated solid state regulator. Now fuel and temp work as they should.

To test for Tank ohms without crawling under the car. You remove the driver side kick panel. Inside you will find a connector with wires. Unplug and test the blue wire from the tank to ground using the ohm meter.

To test Gauge. Key on engine off. Ground other blue wire to ground and gauge should go to full.

Make sure you have a wire schematic to ensure your messing with the right color wire for the sake of safety.

Also my sending unit was adjustable. I ended up setting it all the way. FULL = 0 OHM
As shipped. FULL = 11 ohms

Good luck
Reply Purge Spammer

gas gauge never worked, pulled old tank out to be cleaned, left it in garage and my dad ran over it pulling in from work, was kinda upset but not really bc that old tank was rusted out, got a new tank in the processWink. but back on subject, the gas gauge never worked, when id fill up the tank, it gauge would show half full, then the next day not register at all. It would do that with old tank/sending unit and new sending unit.
Reply Purge Spammer

Google "Allpar" mopar gauge upgrade and repair.
A very good read on how mopar gauges work and why they don't .
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Gauge Issue NZ 68 R/T 6 4,694 01-01-15, 07:05 PM
Last Post: NZ 68 R/T
  Temperature gauge question Jim 68cuda 6 5,265 09-01-13, 01:41 AM
Last Post: 67440Dodge