Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got to talk to original owners son tonight!
I wrote a letter to him and he called today. He remembered everything about the car! His dad bought the car off the showroom floor at Hodges Dodge. Said it was sitting next to their race car! They sold the car to the second owner in about '92. I asked if the motor was ever changed and he said no. Still curious though with a '65 casting date. The car went down the famous Detroit Dragway. He didn't recall what it ran. It seen a lot of street duty. Said in a half mile race he would take a lot of competition. Hey it had a 2.94 rear! They had plans of dropping a used HEMI in it but health reasons it didn't happen. They actually put 426 emblems on the fenders. Only drove the car on sundays and actually installed a bolt in his garage floor to chain the car to out of fear someone would steal it. He might still have the original window sticker if he can find it. I sent him many pics of the car. I asked if he had any old pics from back in the day. Be so seeet to see a pic on the showroom floor. He said he would come to Detroit for the Autorama if we enter the car.
The pic is a photo of the dealer back in the day. If you look close is that a '67 on the floor?? The original envelope for our car.
Needless to say this phone call made my day!
9311]9310]I

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

Nice to learn some history on the car isn't it?
If a man speaks while in his garage and his wife does not hear it, is he still wrong?
Reply Purge Spammer

That is exciting for sure
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Cool info!
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

Nice! Hopefully he'll come up with some more.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

Hey Blue, my R/T also has an early date code. If I recall mine was a 64 or 65 casting date also. I tried to double check it a while back but it's behind the starter on the earlier castings so I'll have to wait till the starter needs to come out. It's a pain with headers. The previous owner told me the original owner told him nothing had been changed out in the car. It was complete when I bought it but the Previous owner installed a 727 from a 69 charger R/T. I always thought I had one of the earliest 440 castings which could be good or bad. Meaning they were still in the development stage. I don't remember the history of the 440 anymore though. Nice to have some history on your car, hope he finds more.
Reply Purge Spammer

RT K_line Wrote:Hey Blue, my R/T also has an early date code. If I recall mine was a 64 or 65 casting date also. I tried to double check it a while back but it's behind the starter on the earlier castings so I'll have to wait till the starter needs to come out. It's a pain with headers. The previous owner told me the original owner told him nothing had been changed out in the car. It was complete when I bought it but the Previous owner installed a 727 from a 69 charger R/T. I always thought I had one of the earliest 440 castings which could be good or bad. Meaning they were still in the development stage. I don't remember the history of the 440 anymore though. Nice to have some history on your car, hope he finds more.

Isn't '67 the first year for the HP440? Ours is stamped that on the deck. Casting date appears to be 12*27*65. Trans appears to be Aug 66. Car was built 9-22-66. Had a customer that worked at Chrysler as an engineer on the engines back then tell me they may have lost/misplaced some engines and then just sent them to the factory.
9313]9314]9315]9316]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

That's is a real early casting date for a 67.
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We lost a friend tonight 67440Dodge 25 2,138 04-01-23, 12:25 PM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  My blue GTX almost bit the dust tonight. ws27 10 7,673 09-10-16, 05:57 PM
Last Post: ws27
  a lot going on tonight! Warhawkfight34 1 2,459 07-30-14, 01:07 PM
Last Post: ws27
  There is a good Facebook group for Coronet owners here.. TekHousE 1 2,731 07-25-14, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Piper
  Calling all 1968 RT owners mike1968rt 18 10,493 07-20-14, 12:21 AM
Last Post: 67440Dodge
  55 Coronet Owners-Data book now on HH 69Coronetrt 0 2,010 07-08-14, 12:25 AM
Last Post: 69Coronetrt
  Wheels/Tires thread Lets discuss: Period Correct, Retro, All original, Pro Touring, etc... uncledon 7 5,083 05-27-14, 10:03 AM
Last Post: uncledon
  Pictures from Safford Chrysler Dodge Chrysler Product Owners Club show in Springfield, Virginia Jim 68cuda 10 7,111 05-06-14, 09:38 AM
Last Post: FRATZOG
  ATTN: 69 coronet owners need photos ..... jfreakofkorn 1 2,726 07-15-13, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Warhawkfight34
  Original Factory Sales Brochures thebankerstoy 2 3,625 01-30-13, 10:44 PM
Last Post: beefman