Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this a real A12 M code Super bee?
I came across this on ebay and was thinking on bidding on it. I came to the conclusion that it is a fake.
What do you guys think. The Vin tag, fender tag. and body numbers can be changed. I didn't see any torque box's,
It has the 440/500 side moldings and the bottom is painted black, It also has power brakes. real M codes never came with these. Let me know what you guys think, I trust in my fellow coronetaholics more than anyone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Coronet-/2...2075580213

Thanks!!
Reply Purge Spammer

It's so far gone, what does it really matter. Well over $100K to bring that one back, just pure foolishness to attempt it, unless you're 25 and a multi-millionaire. Even then you will have lost money once its finished.

Maybe worth some money for a few parts, Dana, trans, six pack setup??

Buy one already done, save a lot of time, stress, and your own money. That way someone else will be taking the financial loss of the restoration.
Reply Purge Spammer

Yup, "Big Money" to get this right, better off buying a finished one.
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

I fully understand that. But as a body man by trade it is hard to let cars like this go by the wayside. me doing it myself would not be in near as much as to have someone else complete the work. Anyways I still don't know if it is real. Some things do not seem to add up. I am not bidding on this because there seems to be too many discrepancy's.
Reply Purge Spammer

Just from looking at the pictures on the ad, the following stick out:

1) Looks like the rear and springs were recently swapped in. Look at nuts on front spring mount (new) and threads on U bolts (corrosion not as severe as rest of car). Not to mention the very clean cover and bolts.

2) The paint and corrosion around the VIN tag seems to indicate its been in place for awhile. Same thing goes for the stampings on the radiator support and trunk.

With the amount of rust underneath, and the condition of the VIN tag and stampings, if this thing was VIN swapped, it was done quite a long time ago. Probably before people looked at the rad support and trunk for the stampings and moved them over also.

Wonder if the VIN can be run thru DMV to see if it was ever stolen or declared an insurance loss?
I love Mopars so much I'm date coding the skid marks in my underwear.

If it is a coronet 440 or 500 I would assume it would have been the whole dash that was swapped out because its a ralley dash.
Reply Purge Spammer

Warhawkfight34 Wrote:I fully understand that. But as a body man by trade it is hard to let cars like this go by the wayside. me doing it myself would not be in near as much as to have someone else complete the work. Anyways I still don't know if it is real. Some things do not seem to add up. I am not bidding on this because there seems to be too many discrepancy's.

You are right, if you can and are willing to do the work yourself, it won't cost $100K. But isn't your time worth something? Even not counting your labor, you might not ever get your investment back. The market isn't what it used to be, cars just aren't selling well. I will say, I admire your ambition to tackle something like this on your own dime/time. I'm convinced you are in your 30's and haven't yet had to face up with your own mortality. Good for you, but for older folks I still say it is better to spend more up front for a nicely done car and let others (seller) take the financial hit. This is coming from someone who has been there, done that.

As far as being real or not, I'm no expert on A12's at all but I'll agree with you something just seems fishy about this car. The biggest issue is the reason for the extra trim of a 440/500 model on this car if its a real A12? Why would someone add that to an A12? The tags and stampings seem legit, at least for what I know about them. Also, 67440Dodge brings up a lot of good points about the car (as usual).

In closing I'll say, if you aren't 100% sure it is a real A12, then it would be prudent to "pass" on the car. Good luck to you!
Reply Purge Spammer

E63 is a 383 car on the fender tag, did they start out as 383 bees? and get converted, then they might not have torque boxes. body trim is unusual for the stripped down versions like super bees although the a12 code is there on the tag. not many clues on the tag like "TRAK PAK a33" or "a34 SUPER TRACK PAK" etc. or A62 RALLYE DASH It does have 3 speed wipers necessary for the big air grabber. tough one to call out. IT should have 11" drum brakes on all 4 corners
Reply Purge Spammer

R/T XTC Wrote:E63 is a 383 car on the fender tag, did they start out as 383 bees? and get converted, then they might not have torque boxes.......IT should have 11" drum brakes on all 4 corners

Yes, that is the way it was done at the factory, the cars will all show E63 on the tag, but the A12 option on the tag changes the engine. Also the VIN always shows the "M" code to indicate an A12 car.

As for torque boxes on an A12 car, don't know if they came with those. Hemi cars and Convertibles got them, but someone else will have to verify the torque boxes question. Brakes should be 11" x 3" drums on the front and 11" x 2 1/2" drums on the rear. Also the SPD should be either March or April, IIRQ. There were two batches of these cars built, one in March? and the other in April if I recall. This one is dated April 26th, so that looks legit too. Also should mention that they were all built at the Lynch Road plant, "A" in the VIN.
Reply Purge Spammer

oh yeah torque boxes are for hemis or converts and all super bees got rallye dash in 69 Right?
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1969 Coronet A39 Super Bee Scat Pack Spring Special option code 1958300 1 9 08-23-24, 09:20 AM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  dodge coronet super bee rear trim ramiroflores 1 14 05-08-24, 09:28 AM
Last Post: 67440Dodge
  Real Time Engineering-contact info regarding an order placed 67RTBlue 5 4,002 06-01-17, 11:49 AM
Last Post: 67RTBlue
  Super Bee Wagon JimKueneman 1 3,149 11-13-16, 12:08 AM
Last Post: 70rtvert
  Help verifying H code engine 1968Coronet500 3 3,395 09-28-14, 10:49 PM
Last Post: 69Coronetrt
  My 68 super bee! mattsmopars 11 7,361 06-20-14, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Tyrra
  H code hemi wheels Rayh1967 10 7,647 03-27-14, 11:57 AM
Last Post: Racer Brown
  Rock Auto discount code. Copper67440 0 2,600 11-05-13, 10:17 AM
Last Post: Copper67440