Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Gauge Issue
I've just had my instruments out and reconditioned. The good news is the speedo now works, but the fuel gauge has stopped!

What are the most common causes of this? Thanks
Reply Purge Spammer

Sending unit grounded?

If you have a manual they show how to test gauge
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Thanks 67r/t. I'll look at that. I was thinking that as it worked prior to the instruments being removed that it must be at the dash end?

Any other logical reason??
Reply Purge Spammer

Can you read wiring diagrams?

If so locate the sending unit wire at the kick panel and ground it out to see if the gauge and harness in the front works.

It's a quick way to split the system in half and go in the right direction.

BTW, that idea wasn't mine, it came from some one here.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

Blue wire behind kick panel. Unplug and ground blue wire with key "on" gauge should peg to full!
If it does not move? Then the sender has issues. does temp gauge work? If that's not working either? Then the voltage limiter has failed.
Reply Purge Spammer

Opps:
If it pegs grounded? Gauge is okay. You have a "open" wire from sending unit. That you can also check from the plug behind the kick panel. Measure ohms blue wire to ground. If you get a .0 reading? The sender is bad or the wire came off the sending unit.

also to note if the temp gauge is working? The fuel gauge and temp gauge use a voltage limiter to bring volts to about 5 volts. If the limiter failed? Neither fuel and temp will work. So? There's 3 things it could be, or a combo of one or more.

Testing is cheap and easy.

I bought a new mother board from classic industries. And it has the modern solid state limiter built into it.
It cured both my fuel and temp gauge issued.
Reply Purge Spammer

Can anyone tell me what the part no is for a new mother board for a 68 R/T with the standard gauges. Does this include the voltage limiter? Thanks
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Redirect Issue 67440Dodge 0 1,498 05-04-21, 10:58 PM
Last Post: 67440Dodge
  fuel pump issue Warhawkfight34 1 2,652 04-01-15, 10:09 PM
Last Post: honcho
  rear end, fuel tank and heater box installed Warhawkfight34 11 5,335 05-18-14, 11:51 AM
Last Post: JennFAFA
  gas gauge sgp0511 7 4,970 04-22-14, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Hibbing_Coronet_500
  troubleshoot...fuel issue. BEAR R.- 26 13,586 10-03-13, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Hibbing_Coronet_500
  Temperature gauge question Jim 68cuda 6 5,265 09-01-13, 01:41 AM
Last Post: 67440Dodge