Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is Richard's fault!!
ws27 Wrote:Encyclopedia Coronetica

Hi Rich,

That sounds kind of like an Italian term and since Chrysler is now owned by Fiat, that's cool as long as you and Mike don't start calling me "Luigi" Dang, probably not a good time to mention that my very first car back in the early 70's was a blue Fiat 600 sedan which looked very similar to "Luigi" who is a yellow Fiat 500 huh? Rofl

Richard

[Image: Cars-2-luigi.jpg]
For some unknown reason, nobody seems to take me seriously............
Reply Purge Spammer

It's fate Richard...
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

Quote:Richard - You are a Coronet Encyclopedia! Thank you for all the extremely detailed information you provide to us on this site!

Question on the above information.

1. Parts that are always black include the bucket seat frames, yet I purchased a pair of white frames that were (or certainly look) original. Also the pictures of this car have white bucket seat frames. Would these be from a different model such as a Charger?

2. Based on your info, the sheet metal of the inner door should be white. The armrest is also white and the door panel Pearl white. Do you have pictures you can post for samples? My concern is that the white, off white will not look good and I would like to get a few good examples before I pull the trigger on this paint scheme. The body shop is pushing me to pick my paint but the multiple shades of white is making me a bit nervous.

Again thanks for your help and please don't post anymore really cool color schemes for a few weeks. I don't want to change my mind again! Smile

Thank you and I'm glad I could help.

Since I want to answer your questions with more than the four pictures that I'm allowed now in each post, I'll need to answer your questions and provide more information in multiple parts and posts ok?

Quote:1. Parts that are always black include the bucket seat frames, yet I purchased a pair of white frames that were (or certainly look) original. Also the pictures of this car have white bucket seat frames. Would these be from a different model such as a Charger?

Bucket Seat Frames - Part 1

On the 1966 and 1967 Coronet factory bucket seats, they are designed with three metal panels that are covered in a textured vinyl material that is color matched to the seat covers. These thee metal trim panels cover all of the seats internal framework except for a very small portion of the seat backs lower arms where the seat back section of the seat mates to the bottom section of the seat. The only time that you will see this small exposed section of the internal seat frame, is when you push the back of the seat forward like you would when someone is accessing the back seat. I will show you pictures of this small part of the seat back framework arm in a little bit. I will also show you several pictures of the inside and outside of the three metal trim covers that I've mentioned above in a later post.

For now, here are some pictures that show a bare internal 1966 Coronet two piece bucket seat frame. You can also see the upper and lower section seat springs in these pictures. On a side note, when you rebuild your bucket seats, make sure that all of these seat springs, top and bottom, are in good condition or your new seats won't feel like new seats!

Richard

[Image: 1966-67B-Bodybucketseatframe1.jpg]

[Image: 1966-67B-Bodybucketseatframe2.jpg]

[Image: 1966-67B-Bodybucketseatframe3.jpg]

[Image: 1966-67B-Bodybucketseatframe4.jpg]
Reply Purge Spammer

I Ran across some pictures of white interiors tonight. Looks like Pearl/White is standard. Although I was concerned about the two tone look, it appears to be just fine, In fact, if it was all the same color of white it may look funny. The combo kind of breaks it up and makes it work.

[Image: KGrHqVjkE2HGnNg7SBNkr4cgNHQ_3_zpsc9e9932f.jpg]

[Image: KGrHqFjcE2HfRtwuBNo8ZYtZfQ_12_zps0a5cb038.jpg]

[Image: KGrHqFg0E1fPtSCr7BNkr4ovCpg_3_zps8dbbcb81.jpg]
Reply Purge Spammer

Salt and Pepper interiors are nice, of course I'm prejudiced!!
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

I've always really liked the white and black interior color combination on Mopars, because I think it highlights all of the cool interior detailing that Chrysler designed into their cars interiors in the 60s and 70's. For me, I feel with an all black interior you lose some of that detailing without any color contrast.

I will admit though, that I'm not sure if I like the white inner door and quarter window sheet metal color, because as mentioned, the factory did use various shades of white to accent various interior features, but for me personally, it doesn't work as well as it does for other two tone color combinations that were offered, because there just isn't all that much color contrast, so for some, it just makes the beautiful Pear White door panels look "dirty" next to the brighter white surrounding sheet metal. I'm leaning towards painting that sheet metal the factory black that was also offered with the Pearl White seats and door panels, as I think that really does accent the Pearl White seats and door panels with the much more extreme dark and light color contrast and of coarse, the black highlights in the interior will gp well with the black highlights on the exterior of my particular car. Just .02 worth of opinions from a guy who has been looking at these color options for quite awhile now.

Richard

Comparison photos between the two different factory options for the Pearl White and Black interior color combinations. (66 and 67 Coronets)

[Image: 1966Coronet500-bluewhite3.jpg]

[Image: 1966Coronet500-whiteinterior1.jpg]
Reply Purge Spammer

body color upper door frames also look great with white door panels
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply Purge Spammer

My Legendary door panels finally arrived - Pearl with black carpet. Although my car is still at the shop, I do have a spare door around so I thought it was time to play with some colors.
First I painted the metal white - which will be the same color as the roof. Once dried I put the panel on - the results were not great. As Richard mentioned, the white metal does in fact make the panel look dingy. This picture does not do justice, but not many really do which is why I started this experiment today.

[Image: DSC_4439_zpsba95e63b.jpg]

So I headed down to the local Lowes and bought two shades of blue paint. The first, light blue looked really nice in person

[Image: DSC_4443_zpscc393d19.jpg]

The second blue was darker, and I did not notice that it was metallic until I started spraying it. This picture does not do it justice, but if I went with this level of metallic I would have to put some hydraulics on the car.. Smile

[Image: DSC_4445_zps98513160.jpg]

So I am leaning towards the lighter blue. Just for kicks I did some work in Photoshop to get an idea of how it would look finished. I definitely had reservations about the triple color interior but I was pleasantly surprised at how it looked on a finished car.

[Image: 1966Coronet500-bluewhite_blue_zpsf6b7b769.jpg]

[Image: 1966Coronet500-bluewhiteblue_zpsaa9f6fa1.jpg]
Reply Purge Spammer

Did you think of trying an off white to match the panels? I'm in agreement with the bright white causing the dinging look. But I'm not too keen on bright blue with the black and white interior. Hope you don't mind my opinion and it's you car to do as you like. After all it's you who is going to look at it all the time so don't go by me for a final decision.

I looked at my 66 and the bright white looks horrible IMO. I thought someone did a poor match, but evidently not.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

ws27 Wrote:Did you think of trying an off white to match the panels? I'm in agreement with the bright white causing the dinging look. But I'm not too keen on bright blue with the black and white interior. Hope you don't mind my opinion and it's you car to do as you like. After all it's you who is going to look at it all the time so don't go by me for a final decision.

I looked at my 66 and the bright white looks horrible IMO. I thought someone did a poor match, but evidently not.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion. I keep going back and forth myself. I do like the way the triple color looks, kind of retro to me - at the same time I am sick of deciding what to do about the color.
an off white/pearl paint job was definitely considered for the interior. the issue I had was that adding pearl on the interior would introduce a 3rd color for the paint booth - Blue, white top and pearl interior. Painting the metal blue is the path of least resistance and, based on the mock-up pictures, I HOPE I will be happy with the results.
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday Richard!! 67440Dodge 14 2,057 05-09-22, 11:12 PM
Last Post: thebankerstoy
  Thank you, Richard honcho 6 4,327 11-20-17, 08:58 PM
Last Post: thebankerstoy
  Biggest indoor show in Finland, Richard Rawlings and..me.. TekHousE 4 4,562 11-13-16, 01:47 PM
Last Post: TekHousE