Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you Andy!
I've been working on the blue GTX on and off (mostly off) this summer. What was supposed to be just some routine maintenance turned out to be more... I removed the rear axles to replace the bearings, sent them out to a friend with NORS 40 year old bearing kits. When he finally got them together, he noticed that one of the axle splines was worn. After some guidance from Andy, I took the sure grip apart to find it needed a clutch kit and one spider gear. After both Andy and the manual very carefully warned me to make sure all the splines are lined up, I managed to screw up one side!

So first, thank you Andy for always offering phone help/guidance/support (sometimes emotional Mopar supportRofl). From the pics, you can see I remembered how you mounted the chuck to work on it. You can also see how I fixed the screw up! Five feet of leverage is about what I need to get the sure grip to slip and line up the splines.

This weekend was rather disappointing, I felt like I was banging my head on a brick wall. Problem after problem. Then finally I get the axle in only to find that the adjuster plate on the pass side is bent and then won't tighten up. Now off to find another bearing kit. If I'm lucky I might be able to drive this thing this winter.

...Anyone have a good set of snow tires?

On a side note, I was at a good friend (Chevy guy) of mines house, he found out I was working on the rear, and very enthusiastically pulled out a mounting jig for attaching any non Mopar chuck to an engine stand. I thanked him, and pointed out with Mopars you don't need those things. The look of joy faded quickly. LOL

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

Your welcome Rich, I am glad you have a sense of humor because it sure helps keep you from going crazy when working on anything that goes far from perfect. Keep the updates coming .
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday Andy! lanceh13 3 227 06-01-23, 10:17 AM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  Happy Birthday Andy! lanceh13 5 1,127 06-01-22, 03:30 PM
Last Post: thebankerstoy
  Happy Birthday 67r/t4speeder Andy! lanceh13 3 1,907 05-31-21, 11:32 PM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder
  Happy Birthday Andy! Mark's 69 6 5,021 06-02-20, 01:10 AM