Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
electrical fan vs non electrical
okay guys here i am again and again my questions are any of u running electrical fans and where did u purchase it is it any good? or just keep the stock one? my problem is i dont have the shroud that covers the radiator so it can cool it also did u guys stick with original radiator or bought a new one? can u guys give ur info into this i just want to know what u guys are running whats good or just keep it stock btw i really like steel braded lines on hoses but i know my engine wont produce anywhere near that power to even use them just questions thats all sorry guys
Reply Purge Spammer

I am running the original fan, no shroud. Its not a good setup. One of my items on the ToDo list is to replace the original fan with the biggest electrical fan I can find. I changed my radiator to a 3 layer 22". I wish I had gone bigger.

Cars from that era weren't really meant for today's traffic conditions. They do not do well in traffic, especially in Las Vegas heat.
Reply Purge Spammer

Funny thing, in the owners manual (Richard will be proud) it actually tells you to put the car in neutral and rev the engine up a bit if the car overheats in traffic. How many people know that let alone actually do it? You can put me on the list of forgetters.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

i see i live in southern california and it gets superhot as well the headers i have one create so much heat hooker header competition also another concern is the spark plug wires keep touching on them and messing them up with the heat is there something i could do to fix this? and what electrical fan u guys would buy?
Reply Purge Spammer

I run a 26" ally rad with no shroud and a standard viscose fan. Different car but it works far better than my old set up on my last car that had the same rad, no shroud, a fixed fan and an electric fan on a thermostat.
Reply Purge Spammer

"Manny951" I have tried 2 different electric fans and neither compared to the original fan/shroud. I have the o.g. 26" radiator (a/c car) on my 67 big block with the o.g. shroud. I wanted to gain afew more horses by going electrical but like I said I wasnt happy with the car getting hot. Now im back to original fan with clutch and the shroud. However soon Im going to go with a flex fan, proper spacer and keep my shroud of course. I have replaced the next to impossible fan clutch (a/c model) when it went out, but the new 1 didnt last long, especially at an occassional 6000 rpm's. Even with a new but half ass fan clutch thats on there now, It still stays at about half way on the temp sensor on a hot day at a drive thru in super hot days. I am also in southern Cali.

As far as the spark plug wires getting to hot and melting up against the headers, well I have gone thru that for years. The final solution that worked were the "heat protecting spark plug wire sleeves". I will post a pic so u can see, (pic posted is with older header wrap). You can get them from Ebay, but make sure you spend abit more and get the better higher heat sleeves that are made out of Lava fibers. The ones I got are 1200 digrees, and recently saw newer ones that were up to 1500 digrees I believe. I only needed about 3 but got 8 to match the look on each wire, plus to have extras in case the heat eventually deteriorates them. 1 particular spark plug sits 1/4" from the header, so when I put the spark plug wire on, it touches up against the header. Eventually after a year that burned my wire thru the sleeve even with my headers being wrapped. So I recently rewrapped my headers after many other repairs, this time with "thermo-tec" header wrap and also wrapped that particular wire afew times around the boot and then put the sleeve on and also jammed a 1/8" metal sleeve between the header and and boot to help protect it. Definately not worried about that anymore.
http://s669.photobucket.com/user/Allnine...4720852451
Reply Purge Spammer

Wow that looks very awesome dude omg ur from inland empire? me too i live in perris ca :] are u going to the perris car show rail and rods?
Reply Purge Spammer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fan-Shroud-Dodge...eb&vxp=mtr would this one work on my 360 engine even if it says big block?
Reply Purge Spammer

Im sure that would not work, your radiator has to be the 26" for that shroud. Man that shroud is very inexpensive, last time i was pricing those shrouds they were like $200. Yea Manny we are in the same hood..i dont know of a show in Perris, actually I dont go to to many car shows. Not yet atleast.
Reply Purge Spammer

O_0 i need to find a shroud lol and do you have any intake manifold 4brl laying around?
Reply Purge Spammer