Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep a fire extinguisher in your car!
Just happened backing out of the garage. It's bad, but it could have been a disaster. No stop watch but I've never moved so fast. I bet she burnt less than 25 seconds.

10913]10914]

Heres why.

[video]https://youtu.be/oLh1UetzRKQ[/video]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

Holy moly!! what happened backfire?
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Glad it didn't become worse.

Big fires always start as small one.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

67r/t4speeder Wrote:Holy moly!! what happened backfire?

No, mechanical fuel pump went. Check the YouTube video bottom of my first post and tell me what you think about that. I've seen them leak but not throw gas like that.

Backed it out and into the shade to give it a quick dust off before a cruise tonight and poof. Glad I had that extinguisher mounted under the dash. It worse than I think I'm sure.

I'm trying to stay positive here. I wanted fuel injection so now I have a perfect reason for a tank mounted e-fuel pump.
Reply Purge Spammer

ws27 Wrote:Glad it didn't become worse.

Big fires always start as small one.

Thats for sure!
Reply Purge Spammer

Good to hear your ok, that flashover or whatever fireman call it can be pretty intense when you open the hood and it gets a fresh shot of 02
I love Mopars so much I'm date coding the skid marks in my underwear.

67440Dodge Wrote:Good to hear your ok, that flashover or whatever fireman call it can be pretty intense when you open the hood and it gets a fresh shot of 02

Mike, I actually put it out from underneath. Laid on the ground and shot up under it then popped the hood. It happened so fast I didnt really have a plan. Just kinda reacted but as an after thought I was glad I worked from the bottom up. Flames were coming out the bottom so that's probably why I started there. It sure wasn't a well thought out execution I just got lucky.
Reply Purge Spammer

Good rescue Bill , I have never seen a pump do that either.
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

DAMN!!! That's scary. Glad it wast worse. Fire extinguisher is on the buy now list! Any recommendations on type and size?
Reply Purge Spammer

Wow! Great job saving it!

My buddy almost lost his 69 RR because the rubber hose clamp was too tight on the mechanical pump and it created a pinhole in the rubber line that sprayed gas on the header - same result and fortunately he also had a fire extinguisher handy.
67 Coronet 500 - 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
Owned Since 1981

Daughter's Car
67 Coronet 500 Street Car with AC
13.300 @ 101.75 mph

69 GTX clone - build in progress........
Reply Purge Spammer