Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accurate VIN Decoder
I've all but given up on trying to find an accurate VIN decoder. According to the 1966 Service Manual, my Coronet 500 should have a 383 (Engine Code F), but I have found numerous typos. However, I have seen VIN decoders confirming it is a 383 and I have seen some (most) that say engine code F=361. My car is badged as a 383, it has a 4bbl carburetor, but the engine stamp under the distributor says 361 (OK, no doubt, it's a 361, but no idea if this is correct). The engine casting number simply does not translate - no idea where it's from, but I know the engine has been replaced. The teal paint on the block and the orange plate on the heads also indicates major engine work. I'd like to find someone who has a 66 Coronet 500 with engine code F and ask what they have (or what was original in their car).

Also of note, a 1966 Coronet 500, if equipped with a 383, had the 383 badge under the Coronet 500 badge on the front end of the front fenders. Most rebuilds put the 383 badge between the front wheel well and the door (as is the case with many Mopars), but this is incorrect as far as I can tell. I have seen the original advertisements (I can show at least three examples) and if equipped with a 383, the 383 badge is under the Coronet 500 badge. Any known exceptions????

Thank you!
Reply Purge Spammer

There are known mistakes in the 66 Plymouth service manual. I'm not as familiar with the 66 Dodge manual but it may have mistakes too.

In '66 an F code would be a 361 engine. A 383 would be a G code.

On line decoders, generally, suck and cause more confusion than clarification.

Here's the TSB correcting the mistakes in the 66 Plymouth FSM. The same codes would apply to Dodges.
9312]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

Now that is without a doubt the most authoritative source I can imagine!!!! No doubt, the Dodge side had the same issues. This really does explain so many of the disparities I've seen. Much appreciated, Jack
Reply Purge Spammer

j57little Wrote:Now that is without a doubt the most authoritative source I can imagine!!!! No doubt, the Dodge side had the same issues. This really does explain so many of the disparities I've seen. Much appreciated, Jack
Joe Mama lives up there by you in Brighton.
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer