Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-key door locks
OK so most here know the history of my car and it being abused while on the show field at Carlise. :mad:
I'd like to see into getting the door locks re-keyed to match the ignition since I have no keys that work on the door.
How do I go about doing that?
Do I call a regular lock smith?
Do I take them out and go to a hardware store with the key and have them do it?
I am guessing i have to take the door apart? Or do they just pop out like a groundhog in a hole?
Or is it an easy thing I can do myself?

Or should I just suck it up for another show and wait til I put the new doors on later?

Decisions Decisions .....help?

umm.. Jenn.. changing the locks won't prevent the kind of abusing Mark wants to do to your car....
I love Mopars so much I'm date coding the skid marks in my underwear.

yeeeeeeea ... im gonna approach with caution and suggest he back .....sloooooowly .........away .... from ....the car....

Didn't hear about the abuse at Carlisle! Do you have different keys for the doors or the keys you have wont work on the doors? Most chrysler car from the 60's had the key code stamped on the passenger door lock cylinder. If you remove the passanger door lock you should be able to either get a key made by a locksmith or rekeyed to match your ignition.
Reply Purge Spammer

I dont have keys for the doors at all. I think the key for the ignition fits the door lock but does't lock the door.
I think id rather have it rekeyed to match ignition. one less key

OR i can really weird and key it to match the trunk!! LMAO

yea yea maybe ill do that

Or you can have your challenger rekeyed and have only on key for all your cars!!
Reply Purge Spammer

Its not that hard to do. My Dad used to rekey the Mopar locks all the time. Its just a matter of the rods being the same length for each lock. Basically you take the lock you want (that fits the key) lay out the rods in the proper order and match the length of those rods in the other locks. Problem is if you don't have the correct length rods. My Dad would make the rods on a surface grinder. Its easy to pop the cover off the locks.

It is easy but takes patience as you don't want to mess up the order of the rods.
67 Coronet 500 - 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
Owned Since 1981

Daughter's Car
67 Coronet 500 Street Car with AC
13.300 @ 101.75 mph

69 GTX clone - build in progress........
Reply Purge Spammer

Markz, that is the best solution and explanation for this job!
Castles made of sand slip in to the sea....eventually
Reply Purge Spammer

To remove the lock from the door- remove arm rest, remove window crank and inner door handle. I think 65's have a screw or 2 holding the door panel on remove them. The panel should pop off, its held in place with clips. Look inside the door and you will see the lock held in place with a clip remove the clip and pull the lock out. It will have a rod attached to it just maneuver the lock to separate it from the rod.
Clean as a whistle 
Smelling like a rose
Reply Purge Spammer

The giant poster of Jenn's car hanging above my bed keeps me going til Carlisle, I'll just hug it while she's not looking!
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  66 Coronet 2 door sedan paint codes Hemi 528 0 1,099 12-30-21, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Hemi 528
  1965 coronet console door danielgbrooks@yahoo.com 2 3,811 11-24-16, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Tlwesch
  Anybody live near Minneapolis? Found Door, Qtr glass for our car there and would like it inspected. 67RTBlue 0 2,069 12-10-15, 06:35 PM
Last Post: 67RTBlue
  Door Lock Question tgranthamfd 6 4,656 07-16-14, 03:45 PM
Last Post: JennFAFA
  Question on 1967 Coronet 500 2 Door Hardtops thebankerstoy 5 4,152 07-26-13, 11:17 PM
Last Post: markz
  Rubber Door Weatherstrip Seals thebankerstoy 7 6,795 06-21-13, 12:32 AM
Last Post: thebankerstoy
  Door Panels stamm321 13 8,839 02-25-13, 02:26 PM
Last Post: fastcoronet