Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1976 Rebuild - 2 Barrel to a 4 Barrel?
Hey everyone,

I am rebuilding a 1976 Coronet Brougham. It has a 360 v8 engine but has a 2 barrel intake/carb. Finding anything to go with the 2 barrel is nearly impossible, and I want to switch it to a 4 barrel setup.

I have no idea if that is even possible. Caveat: this is my first rebuild, so I have no idea what I am doing. Excited, but ignorant.

The plan in my head is to switch out the intake manifold with a four barrel intake and then add a 4 barrel carburetor. Is that all I need to do?

Also, I've got a snake's nest of vacuum hoses and looking to take out the air cleaner and simply mount a stand alone air cleaner (like something from Spectre). Would the engine even run without all of the vacuum hoses hooked up? I have no clue what is essential and what may not be.

I'd appreciate any insight.
Reply Purge Spammer

My car was an original 2 BBL that was converted over very early in it's life (about 1977) to a 4 BBL by the original owner... when I bought it, I had to fix a lot of little issues; the kick down and the throttle linkage was mickey-moused and basically would not allow the Carter AFB 4 BBL he installed to WOT or kick down at the right pressure... You can't use the same linkage or kick down. I found a salvage yard 84 Ram truck and bought the whole mess. I had to custom bend the kick down (I am calling it a kick down but it is actually a pressure control lever). A little adjusting and it works great.

As far as the Vacuum lines.... it will depend on the carb you use and if you stay with a vacuum advance distributor that you currently have. There are certain lines you have to use. The only one you wouldn't use is to the air cleaner flap control.

Any new carb will come with complete install directions so don't worry too much ahead of time.
1975 Coronet Brougham 360- 4 barrel, auto, 355 sure-grip. only 40,000 miles
check out my favorite event!! http://www.atlanticnationals.com/
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1967 Coronet rebuild thread. Piper 25 25,402 11-11-19, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Piper