Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new problem that i found thanks God my car didn't burn up!!
I had a 440 six pack guy come over the house and fine tune my car and he suddenly told me
to turn my car off quick! The reason my ballast resistor was burning up and the alternator was
very hot!! The voltage regulator popped and now is junk! Anyone have any ideas? ALL the wiring
is brand new! Help please!
Reply Purge Spammer

You may have just run in to something I experienced on a client's vehicle before. He had replaced the stock alternator with a newer higher output alternator (read above 60 Amps) and the current exceeded the voltage regulator capacity. The regulator smoked up. I replaced it with the newer style regulator common to 70's and 80's cars that can handle more current. This could be your problem??? But only if the alternator is a newer higher output alternator.

There can be other reasons for the voltage regulator to fry, this is just one I experienced.

Another possibility (if you are running the stock alternator): is that the voltage regulator full fielded and sent maximum voltage down the line. This will cause the ballast resistor to burn up also.
1975 Coronet Brougham 360- 4 barrel, auto, 355 sure-grip. only 40,000 miles
check out my favorite event!! http://www.atlanticnationals.com/
Reply Purge Spammer

FRATZOG Wrote:You may have just run in to something I experienced on a client's vehicle before. He had replaced the stock alternator with a newer higher output alternator (read above 60 Amps) and the current exceeded the voltage regulator capacity. The regulator smoked up. I replaced it with the newer style regulator common to 70's and 80's cars that can handle more current. This could be your problem??? But only if the alternator is a newer higher output alternator.

There can be other reasons for the voltage regulator to fry, this is just one I experienced.

Another possibility (if you are running the stock alternator): is that the voltage regulator full fielded and sent maximum voltage down the line. This will cause the ballast resistor to burn up also.

Can I drive the car or should I have it towed?
Reply Purge Spammer

Found the problem. It was the ignition coil was shiat!
Reply Purge Spammer

Fantastic! Glad to hear. But it's a new one for me.
1975 Coronet Brougham 360- 4 barrel, auto, 355 sure-grip. only 40,000 miles
check out my favorite event!! http://www.atlanticnationals.com/
Reply Purge Spammer

Make sure you get a ballast ohm that matches the coil. I tested a few trying to get an exact 1 ohm and it's amazing how even the same part # vary.

Glad you found the problem, don't need any stinking fires :0
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

Is that voltage reg. a stock looking one that has been up graded to electronic? I know the old original (contact style) in some cases are not happy with the electronic ignition upgrade. If so, be sure the terminal that sticks out the side is tight. I seen where that terminal loosen up and dropped, grounding in out and burned up the wiring harness.
If your friend Jack helped you off a horse....... Would you help your friend Jack off a horse?
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look what I found - Broadcast sheet OldSkool 6 3,987 01-16-19, 11:22 PM
Last Post: R/T XTC
  Have a coolant problem Warhawkfight34 11 6,354 04-25-16, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Racer Brown
  found in the trunk... Robb 6 4,646 03-20-16, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Racer Brown
  Anybody live near Minneapolis? Found Door, Qtr glass for our car there and would like it inspected. 67RTBlue 0 2,069 12-10-15, 06:35 PM
Last Post: 67RTBlue
  Made a small change I didn't think I would ever do but it looks awesome. Warhawkfight34 8 5,197 10-06-15, 10:57 PM
Last Post: 1969 Hemi RTs
  Found a 340 tgranthamfd 7 5,363 07-29-14, 01:19 PM
Last Post: tgranthamfd
  Gearbox Problem NZ 68 R/T 1 2,483 07-04-14, 08:41 PM
Last Post: ws27
  Found some goodies tgranthamfd 3 3,578 05-07-14, 04:56 AM
Last Post: tgranthamfd
  Guess what I found yesterday! Ledsled 75 20 7,765 05-11-13, 12:42 AM
Last Post: ws27
  Looking for this 66 Coronet Wagon: UPDATE Found vin! HP Mopar 2 3,577 02-06-13, 04:44 PM
Last Post: 67r/t4speeder