Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubber Door Weatherstrip Seals
Hello all,

I need to purchase a new set of the rubber door weatherstrip seals for my 1966 Coronet 500 2 door hardtop and I'm wondering who's offering the highest quality door seals at a reasonable price these days? The last set that I purchased was back in 1991 and I believe that they were made by soft seal.

I've been searching around on the Internet for manufactures and price options to get an idea of what's currently being offered and most door seal sets seem to be priced in the $80.00 to $90.00 range and it looks like there are several different manufactures producing them. I live in Phoenix AZ where it gets really hot for months on end, so I need quality door seals that will be able to handle hot dry climates. If anyone has purchased and installed door seals on their Coronet in the past year or so, I'd like to hear which company manufactured them and your thoughts on their quality and sealing abilities please.

Thanks in advance for your help! I am not Worthy

Richard

[Image: qdrhtvnt.gif]
For some unknown reason, nobody seems to take me seriously............
Reply Purge Spammer

After reading this post - i think I need to replace mine too but its not a priority right now. lol You said theres a few places that are making them .. might be worth a phone call and ask a few questions?

Hello Jenn,

After doing some additional research the past few days, it looks like I will be going with the Metro Moulded Inc brand for these front door seals and separate end caps. Looks like Summit has a much better price for the main door seals than buying directly from Metro, but I don't see that Summit offers the door seal end caps, so I will need to call Summit to verify if they do carry them or not and what their price would be. I may also call Metro and see if they will match Summits price so that I can deal directly with the manufacture in case I have any warranty issues down the road.

These particular part numbers are for the 1966 and 1967 Dodge and Plymouth B-Body 2 door hardtop and convertible models, so they aren't correct for your 65 Coronet.

Summit Racing part #: MMP-LM23-B
Molded door seals with mounting clip[s and one molded end. Sold as a pair.
Summit price: $74.95
Summit link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mmp-lm...el/coronet

Metro Moulded Inc part #: LM23-B
Molded door seals with mounting clip[s and one molded end. Sold as a pair.
Metro Moulded price: $126.25
Metro Moulded link: individual page links not available.

[Image: mmp-lm23-b_w.jpg?rep=False]

Summit Racing part #: unknown
Door End Cap Filler. Sold as a pair.
Summit price: unknown
Summit link: not available

Metro Moulded Inc part #: ALP 7008
Door End Cap Filler. Sold as a pair.
Metro Moulded price: $85.05
Metro Moulded link: individual page links not available.

[Image: ALP7008.jpg]

Richard
Reply Purge Spammer

The first picture looks like the door molding that I put on this past weekend. I guess it looks similar to the door weather stripping. (Mine was roof rail weather stripping)
I looked at mine and they arent terrible but I at this point I am not replacing them; I might replace the drivers side door so replacing the weather stripping would be useless! lol Good luck with the project - I think summit would honor the lower price right? And as always, post pic! Big Grin

JennFAFA Wrote:The first picture looks like the door molding that I put on this past weekend. I guess it looks similar to the door weather stripping. (Mine was roof rail weather stripping)
I looked at mine and they arent terrible but I at this point I am not replacing them; I might replace the drivers side door so replacing the weather stripping would be useless! lol Good luck with the project - I think summit would honor the lower price right? And as always, post pic! Big Grin

Hello Jenn,

I would absolutely agree with you that if you will be replacing your Coronet's door sheet metal in the near future, it would be best to hold off changing any of the lower door weatherstripping like we're talking about in this thread.

This rubber lower door weatherstripping gets a particular crush pattern to it that is unique to each cars door to body gap tolerance, so if the cars door sheet metal is changed, that unique door to body gap tolerance will change as well. This gap tolerance will also change if you do any door alignment changes, or if you change your door hinges. I'd highly recommend changing out all of the lower door weatherstripping, rubber door bumpers and any other rubber related door parts when you change the door sheet metal.

I will be replacing all of the upper and lower door related weatherstripping as well on my 66 Coronet 500, because I will be installing new upper and lower door hinges on both doors, along with having all of the interior door and interior quarter window area sheet metal repainted black, so both of my doors will be removed from the car to accomplish these two tasks. At that point, we will be realigning all of the side window glass and repairing all of the factory power window equipment before we rehang both of the doors on the car.

Hopefully after all of this work is done, I will have doors that will close like they did when the car was new and I will be able to achieve a dust and moisture free passenger compartment if all of the aftermarket weatherstripping seals as well as Meter Moulded Parts Inc promises it will! popcorn

I'm not sure if the following pictures of my 66 Coronet will help you with your 65 Coronet or not Jenn, but maybe they will. This first picture shows my drivers side door back in 1991 as I was restoring my interior for the first time. This shot shows the lower rubber door seal that I've been talking about in this thread in place without the upper rear end cap installed.

[Image: 1966Coronet500-originaldriversdoorpanela...ay2006.jpg]

This second shot shows a close up of the drivers side doors lower rubber door seal without the end cap in place. This also shows the end caps mounting holes in the doors sheet metal on either side of the rear edge of the doors window glass, one on the left side and two on the right side.

[Image: 1966Coronet500rearedgeofdriversside.jpg]

This last shot shows both the lower rubber door seal and the end cap in place on the passenger side door.

[Image: 1966CoronetInteriorWAITINGforitsbrandnew...on-1-1.jpg]

I hope this helps a little bit Jenn.

Richard
Reply Purge Spammer

I spoke with Summit Racing today via e-mail and they said that Summit would honour all Metro Moulded Parts factory warranties, so I placed my order for the door seals and door seal end caps today. Really surprising how big of a difference in price there was for these parts between Summit Racing and directly from Metro Moulded Parts. WOW Same exact parts AND free ground shipping from Summit to boot. The other interesting thing about this transaction, is that Summit Racing does not stock the Metro Moulded parts in their warehouses, so as soon as I placed my ordered for these parts with Summit, they turned around and forwarded my order to Metro and the parts will then be shipped directly from Metro to me.

Here are the list prices for these two parts from Summit and Metro.

1966-67 B-Body 2 door hardtop and convertible door seal end caps (set of 2) Metro Moulded part #ALP7008...............$85.05
1966-67 B-Body 2 door hardtop and convertible door seal end caps (set of 2) Summit Racing part #MMP-ALP7008....$69.95

Savings on this part from Summit Racing......................................................................................................................................$15.10

1966-67 B-Body 2 door hardtop and convertible door seals with clips and one molded end (set of 2) Metro Moulded part #LM23-B.............$126.25
1966-67 B-Body 2 door hardtop and convertible door seals with clips and one molded end (set of 2) Summit Racing part #MMP-LM23-B....$74.95

Savings on this part from Summit Racing...........................................................................................................................................................................$51.30

Total savings from Summit Racing for these two parts.....$66.40

It really does pay to shop around folks!

Richard
Reply Purge Spammer

Couple reasons Metro is priced higher.

By letting Summit sell it cheaper, (or pricing their parts in the stratosphere), they've offloaded the customer support, technical support, order support, returns and warranty stuff to another company. Summit does all the work, and all Metro does is box and ship.
I love Mopars so much I'm date coding the skid marks in my underwear.

67440Dodge Wrote:Couple reasons Metro is priced higher.

By letting Summit sell it cheaper, (or pricing their parts in the stratosphere), they've offloaded the customer support, technical support, order support, returns and warranty stuff to another company. Summit does all the work, and all Metro does is box and ship.

Absolutely understood Mike, but if the manufactures warranty that I would get from Metro if I had purchased the parts from them directly is honoured by Summit and the parts come directly from Metro who is the manufacture, it's a win win situation for me, or anyone else, as the buyer will receive the exact same high quality parts from Metro at a much better price.

This is also a beautiful example of how the various price structures and profit margins work in the aftermarker parts business. Metro and Summit will still make a profit on the sale and I will save a nice amount also. This also proves that purchasing all of your parts directly from the manufacture isn't always the best option.

Richard
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  66 Coronet 2 door sedan paint codes Hemi 528 0 1,099 12-30-21, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Hemi 528
  1965 coronet console door danielgbrooks@yahoo.com 2 3,811 11-24-16, 12:54 AM
Last Post: Tlwesch
  Anybody live near Minneapolis? Found Door, Qtr glass for our car there and would like it inspected. 67RTBlue 0 2,069 12-10-15, 06:35 PM
Last Post: 67RTBlue
  Re-key door locks JennFAFA 10 6,887 05-30-15, 02:25 PM
Last Post: ws27
  Door Lock Question tgranthamfd 6 4,656 07-16-14, 03:45 PM
Last Post: JennFAFA
  Question on 1967 Coronet 500 2 Door Hardtops thebankerstoy 5 4,152 07-26-13, 11:17 PM
Last Post: markz
  Door Panels stamm321 13 8,839 02-25-13, 02:26 PM
Last Post: fastcoronet