Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
horrible gas mileage
67440Dodge Wrote:Yea.. well, we won't tell them how many times you old fogies exceeded 60mph in that thing..
WE DID??
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

...yes too cold is an issue too. The engine is less efficient.
Reply Purge Spammer

To cold,negative,my 440 runs better in cold than hot,probably the way it's jetted,man I am a thinking he needs to yank the carb off and do a rebuild. Damn simple and a good place to start.My wife's 64 Dart gets 20 mpg with a 1 barrel,225/6 shoot you can't kill these blocks
66 Coronet 500 convertible 440,727,2500 stall,was 430 hp, we ain't got a clue now, just get in and enjoy the rumble
Reply Purge Spammer

Did your neighbor use a timing light or did he time by ear? I'm leaning towards making sure the timing is advanced correctly, and that the vacuum advance is working the way it's supposed to.

The reason why I'm stuck on timing, besides the fact that timing affects mileage a lot, is because you said that your neighbor adjusted the timing AND made it run smooth. Retarded timing will smooth out your idle and that's not where you want to be. Also, the vacuum advance is supposed to be hooked up to ported vacuum, otherwise timing will have to be too retarded just to make it run smooth.

I'm happy to explain more if you want, PM me your phone number.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

sgp0511 Wrote:thank for the quick replies everyone!! this forum is awesome compared to the dodge durango forum im on (trying to sort out issues there too). no one ever replies there and if they do its like 1 reply every 2 days , effing sucks lol but yea im gonna dig into her this weekend, assuming i find time this weekend, bc i also gotta plan my daughters 1 year party and have to plan our wedding which will be the day after, all coming up in early may, i have alot on my plate now with virtually no funds lmao

this is the most friendly and helpful group I have seen on the web. lots of great people here!
Clean as a whistle 
Smelling like a rose
Reply Purge Spammer

ok so i mis calculated my mpg, for some reason i assumed i had a 19 gallon tank, then i found my receipt for my gas tank and its a 15 gallon. so now it puts me @ 10mpg, better than 8, but still not enough. yes my neighbor timed by ear. i do not have a timing light at this time. can someone please explain in detail how to time with a timing light correctly? when i have the funds il get one and try and time it correctly. also i think its running rich bc when i start it, a black smoke cloud emits from the exhaust, and also when i gun it, i get a black smoke cloud behind me. so next steps are to try n tune carb. can someone also explain how to tune a carb without a vacuum gauge? carb was rebuilt about 2 years ago, never correctly tuned.
Reply Purge Spammer

You must get your timing right before venturing on to tuning your carb.
Reply Purge Spammer