Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have to vent about Comp Cams a little bit!
OK. Firstly this is about a particular very specific niche product of theirs. I love Comp generally. Just put their roller lifters and pushrods in my car. But GETTING them in there is where I have to vent/warn people about.

OK, Comp have a tool, it is a push rod bit, and it is critical for us mopar guys running push rods that are CUP style ones at the top to mate up with our roller rockers. This bit is expensive, I have seen them for around the 70ish US mark. Comp say that the bit is good for up to 200 cuts on cro-moly rods..This is where the wheels fall off..

We cut ONE rod last night and the bit lost its edge! ONE! Rod was in a lathe and turning at the recommended speed (within that RPM window that Comp specify) and the bit was stationary and moved towards the push rod.

We then had no choice but to use other bits to drill the rod out to accept the cup pieces, and we used a 2 dollar bit to do it! Yep that bit ate through 15 other rods! No sweat! Of course then we had to put in a chamfer tool and do the chamfering. Which the Comp tool is designed to do at the same time as drilling. So it wasted a lot of time. Drilling with the cheap bit was also really slow.

My mechanic had purchased the tool when he got my new cut to length rods and roller lifters, all from Comp. But after last nights ordeal. I checked Summit and the one and only review was a 2 star affair. Well now there is a ONE star review there too! Wink LOL

The previous review to mine was about the bit losing its edge.

Comp should be wacked over the head for selling these especially at that price. If you are doing a set of rods you will need about 16 of the things to get that job done..Most expensive rods ever! Wink
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Flickr gallery for my '67http://www.flickr.com/photos/19913797@N0...666472876/
Reply Purge Spammer

TekHousE Wrote:OK. Firstly this is about a particular very specific niche product of theirs. I love Comp generally. Just put their roller lifters and pushrods in my car. But GETTING them in there is where I have to vent/warn people about.

OK, Comp have a tool, it is a push rod bit, and it is critical for us mopar guys running push rods that are CUP style ones at the top to mate up with our roller rockers. This bit is expensive, I have seen them for around the 70ish US mark. Comp say that the bit is good for up to 200 cuts on cro-moly rods..This is where the wheels fall off..

We cut ONE rod last night and the bit lost its edge! ONE! Rod was in a lathe and turning at the recommended speed (within that RPM window that Comp specify) and the bit was stationary and moved towards the push rod.

We then had no choice but to use other bits to drill the rod out to accept the cup pieces, and we used a 2 dollar bit to do it! Yep that bit ate through 15 other rods! No sweat! Of course then we had to put in a chamfer tool and do the chamfering. Which the Comp tool is designed to do at the same time as drilling. So it wasted a lot of time. Drilling with the cheap bit was also really slow.

My mechanic had purchased the tool when he got my new cut to length rods and roller lifters, all from Comp. But after last nights ordeal. I checked Summit and the one and only review was a 2 star affair. Well now there is a ONE star review there too! Wink LOL

The previous review to mine was about the bit losing its edge.

Comp should be wacked over the head for selling these especially at that price. If you are doing a set of rods you will need about 16 of the things to get that job done..Most expensive rods ever! Wink

Thank you very much for the info. I will be dealing with this very soon and will just buy a reamer for it. Do you know what size the reamer needs to be?

I bought some Mancini pushrods last year. They said no reaming required. BS! Bought a reamer for it but the tolerances on the cup stems were terrible! Don't remember the exact number but with the reamer some were a bit loose and some were so tight they split the tube - Mancini replaced those under warranty. I measured the stems on the cups on the Comp Cams pushrods and the tolerances were quite good. Fantastic compared to the Mancini ones!
67 Coronet 500 - 9.610 @ 139.20 mph
Owned Since 1981

Daughter's Car
67 Coronet 500 Street Car with AC
13.300 @ 101.75 mph

69 GTX clone - build in progress........
Reply Purge Spammer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent window assy. cd45harris 8 6,073 01-05-15, 02:29 PM
Last Post: cd45harris