Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A word of caution -
Those cool looking glass inline fuel filters - COME APART!!
Most of you probably already know this. I did not. I nearly learned the hard way yesterday. After putting a new battery in the old car and blowing the dust off of her, I took a short cruise around town. Everything went great until I got home and noticed a puddle of fuel in the garage where she HAD BEEN parked before I left. A quick pop of the hood revealed the inline filter leaking gas right onto the engine! Who knows how much longer I could have driven without a major fire.
So - if you did not know about these filters, now you do. I will never put another one on my car.

This is a pic from the web. just like the one I have.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reply Purge Spammer

These things should have been banned decades ago! I had one crack and leak and caought fire in an old truck I used to have and the whole engine bay was toast but I got it put out because I carry a fire extinguisher with me all the time. The truck was ruined after that. Ban them I say!
Castles made of sand slip in to the sea....eventually
Reply Purge Spammer

Couldn't agreed more Stamm. Looks to me like the O ring went bad.

You should always carry a fire extinguisher with you, do you have one Stamm?
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

ws27 Wrote:Couldn't agreed more Stamm. Looks to me like the O ring went bad.

You should always carry a fire extinguisher with you, do you have one Stamm?

I have one in the car now! I have not been able to touch the car in months because we were moving and my honeydoo list was so long! i did not have it with me when I was running around the block a few times - but I wont leave without one again!
Scared the POS out of me at how easily I could have lost the whole car!
Reply Purge Spammer

Sometimes that's what it takes. I've always said if you don't have a good fire extinguisher, then at least carry a bag of marshmallows to enjoy while you are on the side of the road.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

ws27 Wrote:Sometimes that's what it takes. I've always said if you don't have a good fire extinguisher, then at least carry a bag of marshmallows to enjoy while you are on the side of the road.
That line made me laugh... thanks!
1975 Coronet Brougham 360- 4 barrel, auto, 355 sure-grip. only 40,000 miles
check out my favorite event!! http://www.atlanticnationals.com/
Reply Purge Spammer

I had a fire once in 1995 on my 70 coronet. I was half way across the state on my way to Columbus OH to go to the mopar nationals. the float got stuck on the thermoquad and it kept dumping fuel in the motor as I cranked it. it back fired and caught fire. burned all my spark plug wires. I had a few gallons of drinking water in my car that I dumped on it to put it out. my friend that was with me had a few sets of new wires with him to sell. we put a new set on a were on our way. I`ve carried an extinguisher ever since and vowed to never have another thermoquad.
Clean as a whistle 
Smelling like a rose
Reply Purge Spammer

I never did like those 'thermo-bogs'. Reminded me of a toilet.
Castles made of sand slip in to the sea....eventually
Reply Purge Spammer