Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam?
I got my R/T out of hibernation last weekend.As it was running and getting warmed up I noticed what looked like steam comming out of the cowl vent and also out of the defrost vent.I'm thinking heater core leaking or getting bad.Any ideas? There is no coolant on the floorboard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GO BUCKEYES [SIZE=5]GO R[SIZE=5]EDS GO STEELERS GO BLUE JACKETS[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply Purge Spammer

Yikes, sure sounds like heater core. Usually you can smell coolant inside when they leak though, inside of windshield get's sticky.

Do you have access to a preasure tester?
The Idaho Andy
I love the smell of race fuel in the morning
Reply Purge Spammer

X2 on what Andy said. Look for smell (or is that smell for smell). That's the best way. No telling what is burning/evaporating after a long hibernation.
President, New England chapter of Coronetaholics anonomous.
Reply Purge Spammer

Yea, throw a couple of old towels under it on the carpet and preesure test it, atleast you should soak up any antifreeze.
Objects quickly DISAPPEAR in the rearview mirror and PLEASE stay seated until the ride comes to a complete stop!!
Reply Purge Spammer

The heater core on your car is not that difficult to replace, in comparison to my 2000 Ram 1500!! The WHOLE dash and steering column need to be dropped or taken off. I had a quote at a mechanics' shop of almost $1000 to do the job for me. The above suggestions should give you an answer quickly enough. Have you noticed if the radiator coolant has started to get low? Also, it is an idea to check the heater core tubes at the firewall where they attach to the rubber hoses. Sometimes those connections get weak and start to leak and let steam enter the heater box, even through that gasket material.
Reply Purge Spammer

Hopefully it's a non-AC car.. I heard the cores for a AC are about as easy to find as NOS Coronet parts in Massachusetts...
I love Mopars so much I'm date coding the skid marks in my underwear.

67440Dodge Wrote:Hopefully it's a non-AC car.. I heard the cores for a AC are about as easy to find as NOS Coronet parts in Massachusetts...

Hey!!!
Reply Purge Spammer

67r/t4speeder Wrote:Yikes, sure sounds like heater core. Usually you can smell coolant inside when they leak though, inside of windshield get's sticky.

Do you have access to a preasure tester?
Yes I do.I will get it and check it. Cant smell coolant on the inside but i can on the outside.the coolant level is not low but I'm sure that the core is bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] GO BUCKEYES [SIZE=5]GO R[SIZE=5]EDS GO STEELERS GO BLUE JACKETS[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply Purge Spammer

If you can't smell it on the inside, try to pin point the leak first. Did you check/double check the heater hose connections?
Reply Purge Spammer

i havent checked a whole lot on it yet but I will when I get some time.
Reply Purge Spammer