DodgeCoronet.com

Full Version: Trunk project phase 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Took a wire brush to it and a good cleaning. Then did the etching primer. Looking good and drying to the grey that it was on the can.

7340]7339]7341]
Looks good! You can pop out those plugs easily with a flat screw driver
I would get some POR 15 and treat that rust , it is minor now and will save that metal.
Yeah, I took path of least resistance, I was concerned if I popped them out I wouldn't get them back in ;-)

65rbdodge Wrote:Looks good! You can pop out those plugs easily with a flat screw driver
Hi, so the spray I put on there is an etching primer. Are you suggesting the POR 15 over that before the spatter? Thank you for any thoughts.

67r/t4speeder Wrote:I would get some POR 15 and treat that rust , it is minor now and will save that metal.
OldSkool Wrote:Hi, so the spray I put on there is an etching primer. Are you suggesting the POR 15 over that before the spatter? Thank you for any thoughts.

NO!!!!!!!
You need to put down the POR or some other rust inhibitor first. Treat the rust so it doesn't come back and rot out the trunk. Then you can go ahead and prime and paint.
Oh well, live and learn. I did the etching primer and just back from a week plus away and it looks great. Spatter next!

Warhawkfight34 Wrote:You need to put down the POR or some other rust inhibitor first. Treat the rust so it doesn't come back and rot out the trunk. Then you can go ahead and prime and paint.
I'm not a fan of Por15. I would have wire wheeled it best I could (plus some sandpaper and scotchbrite) then used a 2 part metal prep and then epoxy primer. Not supposed to use etching primer over metal prep.

I use Dupont 5717S and 5718S. The 5717 removes rust and the 5718 gives it a zinc phosphate coating. I use PPG DP epoxy primers over the metal prep. Those may not be current part numbers.
I used rust bullet over my roof under my vinyl top.