DodgeCoronet.com

Full Version: Challenger 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

JennFAFA

OK So most of you know I have 2012 Challenger that I love and baby the heck out of. I really keep the interior clean and smelling good. So I was using Maguires Interior wipes for the dash, interior leather seats and door panels. BUT a friend of mine told me that using this can actually cause the dash to crack because it eventually dries the dash and the sun cooks it and ??... well I certainly don't want THAT!
SOOOO What should I be using to clean this on a daily if not weekly basis? I hate finger smudges, dust etc in my car. Can i use the Maguires on the leather just not the dash? What should I use to avoid cracking but to keep it clean and shiny?
Options?
Help! :eek:
I can't speak about the cleaner that you're using Jenn because I've never used it myself, but I will say that I've never been a fan of using products with lots of chemicals in them on my car interiors. I normally just use warm water to wipe things off with, but if more is needed, I use a solution of warm water and a very mild cleaner such as Simple Green. As far as keeping the cars interior smelling nice, you can use the air fresheners that can be placed in the interior that don't involve direct contact with the seats, dash, or other interior parts.

This has worked very well for me over the years as you can see in the pictures below of my sons 1972 Dart Swinger and it's white interior which I installed back in 2004. Granted, it's not a daily driver anymore like your Challenger is, but even sitting inside of my garage the interior gets dusty, so it still needs to be cleaned every so often.

Richard

[Image: 1972DartSwinger-restoredwithBEAUTIFULLeg...g~original]

[Image: 1972DartSwinger-restoredinterior-backsea...g~original]
Jenn, I have a 1994 Ram 2500 I bought new. Up until the body shop sprayed primer all over the dash, it was in mint condition.

What kills it is the sun. So what I have done for the entire life of the truck is to keep the interior out of the sun. I got the side and rear windows tinted, and use a sun shade for the front. It has kept my interior in like new condition. Similar to Richard, mine stays in the garage a lot, but every time it sits in the sun, I put the solar shade in the front. The tinting has kept the sun out of the rear and side.

Honestly, I've never cleaned the interior with much of anything, maybe a little windex. Course that could be more of a guy thing though.
Same here, sunshade when applicable and tinted windows, otherwise warm lightly soapy water and the original 'shine' retains itself. NEVER use Armorall, that's the stuff that WILL eventually crack your vinyl dash. Leather cleaner/restorer worked for me when I had leather. Buy the best quality stuff.
I've heard this is pretty good. The body shop used it on my previous truck after Bambi's mom met her demise from it. He's been using it for years on his cars without any problem.

http://www.raceglaze.com/autotrim.html
I totally agree that tinting the windows is a good idea to help protect the interior from damaging UV rays, but every state has regulations on what's legal. My son ran into this problem with his 2004 Corolla which we had a dark tint added for our hot weather here in Arizona, but after he moved to Santa Monica California in 2009, an LA Police Officer pulled him over and gave him a fix and repair ticket for having window tint that was too dark for CA regulations, so he had to remove it all from his side glass.

Richard

Take Rick's 1972 Dart Swinger as an example. This dark tint is completely legal here in Arizona and is completely illegal in California.

[Image: Ricks1972DartSwinger-RichardTruesdellpho...g~original]

[Image: 1972Dart-newvinyltopandtintedwindows-200...g~original]
Out here, we can't have a rear window or driver/passenger front window darkened.

JennFAFA

Thanks guys .. I guess i will keep it simple and use the basics, I just didnt want to keep using something that was going to cause long term damage.
When I first got the car it was SOOOOO dirty in side.... i bought a dental pick kit and cleaned all the crevices! Big Grin
Then I cleaned the seats with the Maguires. I will surely be investing in a solar sun screen to protect the interior too Smile
But im still using Fabreeze for the interior.
A dental pick?

RoflRoflRofl

Sorry Jenn, I though I was bad!

JennFAFA

Yes!!! I had too!! I cant drive a car that dirty!
Pages: 1 2